Glencoe – The village at the end of the glen, on the shore of Loch Levan
Glen Coe – The Glen of the river Coe
Stayed in the Kings House Hotel which is near the junction of Glen Coe and Glen Etive. It is called the King’s House because British troops were billeted here following the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
The Kings House was built in the 17th century and is thought to be one of Scotland’s oldest licensed inns. In late 1746 the building became a barracks for Crown forces under the command of the Duke of Cumberland. The buildings were used as base while soldiers conducted operations to crush or capture any remaining Jacobites in the Highlands.
The inn lies on the old military Wade road that crosses Rannoch Moor. The road crosses the River Etive at the inn before continuing into Glen Coe and ascending the Devil’s Staircase. The military road then heads north across the hills towards Kinlochleven. The former military road now forms part of the West Highland Way.
Had dinner in the Clachaig Inn. Must remember not to order a starter and main course next time! The Clachaig was built in the 16th Centuary.
Route up was M8 to Junction 2, M9 to Junction 10 at Stirling, A84 through Doune, Callander, A85 through Crainlarich, A82 through Tyndrum, Bridge of Orchy to Glen Coe. From Junction 10 of the M9 it is one road without having to turn off.
Route back was A82 to Fort William, A830 to Glenfinnan and back to Fort William, A82 to Spean Bridge, A86 through Roybridge. A889 from Drumgask to Dalwhinnie then join the A9 to Perth, M90 and A 90 back to Edinburgh.